It’s that time of year again — drug stores are stocked with giant teddy bears, red roses, big boxes of chocolates, and sweet nothings like “be mine” written in elegant script. But when you’re single on Valentine’s Day, you may be trying to avoid drug stores altogether.
However, whether you’re in a relationship or not, this holiday is designed to remind us about love; to celebrate you and the ability you have to love. So even if you don’t have a significant other for February 14th doesn’t mean you can’t commemorate the holiday that honors love!
If you’re currently single, why not celebrate you and the amazing ability you have to love? Because love, in all it’s forms, is worth celebrating!
Not sure what to do? Here are 20 fun things you can do even if you’re single on Valentine’s Day — no S.O. required!
- Make plans. Seriously, if you don’t make plans to do something — anything listed here! — you’ll end up home alone. Which could lead you to wallow in loneliness, crying, or eating way too much ice cream. Avoid this scenario and make plans already!
- Host a singles-only dinner party. Invite all your favorite single people and toast to your independence.
- Or invite all your besties to a Galentine’s Day brunch. Round up your your squad and celebrate the day among friends. You’re not just celebrating yourself and your friends, but the love you have for each other.
- Plan a Valentine’s Day “crafternoon.” Set out paper, cardstock, stamps, ink, and heart-shaped stickers. Ask your most creative friends to join you and make Valentine’s Day cards.
- Treat yourself to a blowout, sexy lingerie, beauty treatment, massage, or a full-on spa day. Indulge in the things you love most! You can even have a massage therapist come out to you with on-demand app Zeel!
- Get out of town. Plan a mini excursion with a friend or family member.
- Take yourself out to eat at your favorite restaurant. Sit at the bar and splurge on dessert.
- Wear something festive and feel the love.
- Stay in and pamper yourself. Take a long bath, give yourself a face mask, or paint your nails.
- Book a couples massage with your best friend or a family member.
- Send a heartfelt text to all the people you love in your life. Especially the ones you don’t get to see very often.
- Go to your favorite bar, have your go-to cocktail, and head to the local karaoke dive. Belt out all the classic love songs with your best buddies.
- Plan a date with your best friend(s). Get dressed up, go to a fancy restaurant, and order the special Valentine’s Day menu with wine pairings.
- Stay off of social media. Facebook-stalking your ex or to see how they’re celebrating with their new S.O. is not going to make you feel happy or confident.
- Know anyone who would love a night off from parent duties? Offer to take care of their kids so they can go out for a romantic date night. Be the cool aunt and order pizza, watch Frozen, and make brownie sundaes.
- Head to the store and buy several bunches of flowers. Bring them home and channel your inner florist. Make beautiful bouquets. Use them to decorate your house or deliver them to the people you love.
- Splurge on a nice piece of jewelry. Because you’re worth it.
- Try a new workout, like yoga to open your heart up to new possibilities.
- Buy you favorite bottle of champagne and make a toast to how awesome you are!
- Love yourself. Do whatever makes you happy! Cut yourself some slack. Remind yourself that you are lovable and worthy of love.